Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Cloisonne love...

I picked up some cloisonne beads at the SMBS (that's Santa Monica Bead Show for those who don't know...).

Here's some background info on cloisonne (courtesy of Wiki):

Cloisonné, an ancient metalworking technique, is a multi-step enamel process used to produce jewelry, vases, and other decorative items.

Cloisonné first developed in the Near East. It spread to the Byzantine Empire and from there along the Silk Road to China. Chinese cloisonné is arguably the most well known of all the varieties of cloisonne and enamel making. Russian cloisonné from the Tsarist era is also highly prized by collectors. Chinese cloisonné is sometimes confused with Canton enamel, a similar type of enamel work that is painted on freehand and does not utilize partitions to hold the colors separate.

So here are some earrings I made with my cloisonne beads:



1 comment:

linda said...

Pretty!

I haven't even used the cloisonne beads I bought when we went to Downtown in the summer.

You can have them next time I see you
(and can I borrow your knitting needle kit in exchange?)